Saturday, January 3, 2009

The Day the Earth Stood Still


This is really not a movie review. I don't want to rave about it, because I believe that it could have been done better, especially with such a good theme and visual effects. And what movie would have gone wrong with uber-gorgeous Keanu on board? Tell me!

I just want to blog about it because having been born 3 decades after its 1951 original release (and thus, did not have the opportunity to view it), I want to remember the book/film's wake-up call through this version.

"At the precipice, things begin to change." -Professor Barnhardt (John Cleese)

Only when we humans are on the brink of defeat or total destruction, do we think of turning back from our evil ways. Only when we are in utter powerlessness do we consider righteous surrender. Very true, isn't it?

In the movie, Keanu (Klaatu) is sent to oversee the salvation of the earth from its ultimate enemy - humans. However, as Helen Benson's (Jennifer Connelly) kind and selfless spirit begins to unfold, he starts to feel compassion and is compelled to change the doomed fate of mankind.

This story is so familiar to me. If I'm not mistaken it happened around 2000 years ago...

"Change His [decision] not by reason but by what you are."
-Professor Barnhardt saying to Helen as he urges her to convince Klaatu to stop the destruction of humans

No comments: