Thursday, August 1, 2013

Tips* To Help Boost Your PR Application


I AM officially a permanent resident of Singapore. *Applause* Thank God!

I just completed my formalities a few days ago and I am now an adopted daughter of this nation. I can still remember when I was a newcomer in 2007. The SG government back then were encouraging foreigners from selected schools to sign up for the EPEC (Employment Pass Eligibility Certificate) which allows them to stay for a year as a legitimate job seeker. I wrote a post about that a few years ago too. I took a leap of faith and grabbed the opportunity to be independent and obtain an international experience. I never planned to stay this long but God has blessed me with good jobs, great opportunities and loving people that made my stay so much more fun and life-changing.
So Young: Nips, Jo and I at Sentosa. No work yet but still smiling!
First housemates. Thank you so much for your kindness to me. I miss you three!

At the risk of sounding pedantic, I came out with some pieces of advice for people and friends who are planning to apply (or re-apply) for permanent residency. I do not really have the right answers, but after three applications, two rejection letters and five years of waiting, I have gained a tiny bit of knowledge on what can strengthen one's application.

1. Fill up the forms with complete details. Do not omit anything - the addresses of all the places you resided in, the jobs you've had, etc. In my first application, I didn't include one of the previous jobs I had because I was only there for a few months, without realizing that the system has a record of every single (tax) activity I undertook.

2. Sell yourself in the accomplishment section. If possible, monetize your achievements. State your contribution to your companies in dollars and cents. Have you helped increase their revenue/profit? Have you developed a new process that's revolutionary? Then state it literally.

3. Integrate with the community. Volunteer in different charities and organizations or be involved in clubs and associations relevant to your profession. If you want to be here for the long haul, then don't just be here for the money or comfort. The government is looking for the right people who can contribute to the nation-building. Do not milk the system but make a difference.

4. In relation to tip # 3 - be truthful and sincere. State only the things that you have done or are doing. Do not do things just for show. People will know eventually.

5. Make sure you're in the right job. Part of the requirement is to submit your resume, degree/diploma and transcript of records. Is your current job related to what you studied in college? If not, then take courses or move to another job that is more relevant.


6. Prove your significant contribution in terms of taxes and job stability. If you are planning to apply for PR, do not job hop. Show them that you are doing fine in your current job and have been consistently paying your taxes.

7. Be in good terms with your colleagues, especially people from the HR department. Do not antagonize anybody from HR. I know someone who applied for PR after a quarrel with his HR manager. His rejection letter read, "We regret to..... because of conduct."

8. Do not give up. If you get rejected once, twice, or several times, press on! The immigration officers may finally come to a realization that you are genuinely determined to be a part of this country and that you are diligent and brave enough to take chances.

9. Change. If you have been rejected and want to apply a second time, you have to show a change/improvement in your application. It could be a higher tax contribution, salary increase, courses taken, and the like. You don't just re-submit what you have submitted previously.

10. Wait. Sometimes right timing is key to acceptance.

If you've done all these and still got the same results, then maybe it's time to re-think your long-term plans. Your skills and talents may be so much more needed elsewhere. This can also mean that perhaps the status quo is what's best for you right now. There is a time for everything and you'll get it at the perfect moment. =)



*not foolproof





3 comments:

Maran said...

Really use full post

Phoenix111 said...

Recommended!

Unknown said...

Did you ever write a cover letter for your application?