Sunday, August 17, 2008

it's a man's world after all


My bosses, colleagues and I were on our way back to the office after a hearty lunch. I was trying hard to keep up with their pace but I needed to sprint before I fell into step beside one of them. Big French men ahead of me sauntered with a nonchalant gait, while I, a scrawny girl (but with love handles and all) scampered on pretending not to look a bit out of breath and flustered in my stilettos. Right then I was convinced that stilettos were made by a patriarchal society aimed to suppress women even more.


Three years after graduation, I would like to believe that I am still wearing those rose-colored glasses and that badge of idealism which made me think that having a good head on one’s shoulders is enough to become who one wants to be. True, I’ve been working long enough to learn that the real world requires more, but as I approached my desk and slumped on my chair, I once again sensed a sad epiphany dawning.


I looked around my surroundings. In the office, the top management was composed of men, armed with MBA’s and PhD’s; while the women were Administrative Assistants, HR Manager and Project Coordinators. Our major sales and investment deals were sealed over bottles of beer but not over scoops of strawberry ice cream or nail polish sessions. I tried thinking about female CEOs or Directors I know of but I could only name two: Mary Kay Ash and Andrea Jung (Avon), both of whom are in the same industry- cosmetics.


Honestly, I am not too sure where this entry is leading to and I will not just sit here and chant about gender inequality. But, as I looked down on my antagonistic shoes, I reprimanded myself for feeling sorry and a bit mistreated. Women are not created to compete with men. Yes, we can do and perform better yet were not given due credit most of the time, but it will only hurt if we always try to be better at something men are made to do. I realized that we do have different roles to play in order to supplement the other, and it’s not actually about what the society dictates, but what our hearts impel us to be.


I’m not saying that we make ourselves doormats of men as they work to be on top of their games, heck no. In fact we should continue to educate ourselves, engage in things that are purposeful and enduring and be the most beautiful ezer kenegdos for the men in our lives. . .

Therefore, I refuse to take these rose-colored glasses off and yes, even my stilettos for that matter.

No comments: