Sunday, August 17, 2008

No Gummy no Honey in SG

I'm sorry for the lack of a better title..haha!

The moment I announced to my boss and office mates that I would be in Manila for the rest of the week, they began offering me their bucks for a unified request- chewing gum. (Just writing it makes me salivate). Na-ah, they do not want just packets; they want boxes! One of my colleagues, Marian, who just came from Taiwan, showed me how she’s been saving broken pieces of her gum so she can chew one each day. I’m also a chewer and I can definitely finish a blanket of Dentyne in one take, so I sympathise with her.

But why is it really illegal to sell gums in Singapore? One of my Malay friends told me about how once upon a time Singaporeans were joyously chewing like goats and sticking their wads of saliva-soaked leftover under mrt seats and subway sliding doors. Then one time, one of the train doors became clogged and it was not able to function properly. So from then on, the government banned vendors from selling gums in Singapore. I wasn’t able to validate if this story is true but knowing how the government is easily freaked out, it made sense.

Because our cravings need to be satiated, I would probably make a living out of selling gums here (secretly, that is).


Note to my parents: If I got held up by the immigration officers on the way back, you know the reason.

No comments: